Posted: August 28th, 2023
Please respond to the following:
Be sure to respond to at least one of your classmates’ posts.
Respond to student below
Yesterday Aug 17 at 4:37pm
Hello Dr. Marion and Classmates
In this week’s discussion, we are evaluating our options following a hurricane strike at our project. The work site has stopped for ten days, and we need to assess the impact on schedule, performance, and cost to determine how to proceed.
Schedule- The completion date of the project cannot be moved. The options that would be looked at would be accelerating work or adjusting the schedule of other tasks to begin earlier than planned. The risk would be potentially impacting quality and building safety by allowing a rushed timeline and/or working on other tasks before predecessor tasks are completed. Our risk planning during project initiation should have determined whether it would be a highly, probably highly impactful risk. Risk planning should have created a response on adjusting the timeline and tasks due to weather-related issues. This could be how tasks were scheduled to allow those with the flexibility to be moved if needed to move up critical tasks. There may be work in parallel or accelerated work, but schedule planning would have been done to consider the potential delay due to weather.
Performance: With the completion date and budget fixed, a 10-day delay will negatively impact project performance. This also leads to potentially reduced quality of work performed and potential safety issues. The options are similar to scheduled, where either work must be accelerated, or tasks created in parallel. Risk planning done at the start of the project would have allowed for this weather issue to re-arrange tasks to allow for earlier start times in some to mitigate potential weather delays. There would also be a ‘transfer’ risk response to bring in contracted work for tasks that require more skilled needs that might take the existing crew longer to complete. This potentially could increase costs but leave schedule and performance intact.
Cost-Being on a fixed budget and launching on time after a 10-day delay has major impacts on the project. The options to compensate for lost time include accelerating work, bringing in additional resources, or adjusting schedules to launch the project at cost and on time. Knowing that weather would be a risk identified up front, mitigation planning would have anticipated possible weather delays and set aside funds to bring in more resources if needed to make up for the delay. Risk planning could also use the response to transfer the risk to an outside vendor that could do the work faster with the same quality output. If funding weren’t put in a contingency fund, other costs would need to be used to pay for that outside vendor.
All three would be highly impacted by the weather delay, but with this being an outside project and being in an area where the weather is known to be a factor, risk planning upfront could have mitigated the impact and allowed the project to be completed on time and in budget. The most likely mitigation would have been adjusting schedules if needed to allow for parallel work to be done should predecessor tasks get delayed. Also, planning on using a vendor and transferring risk to them to complete tasks at an accelerated rate with quality could be used, but this would most likely be at an extra cost, so cost-saving measures would need to be implemented to cover the extra expense.
Feedback welcomed on my evaluation of the scenario. Have a great week!
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.