Posted: August 8th, 2022
Module 4 discussion: informational interview preparation
Context: Informational interviews are meetings scheduled to learn more about a specific position, industry, or employer. They are critical opportunities for researching career paths and building network connections. While these meetings could ultimately result in employment, their goal is information and connections. Informational interviews can be conducted at different points in one’s career, as someone looks for a first opportunity or considers a career transition. Being able to navigate informational interviews with confidence, to walk away with additional contacts or next steps, and to have made a strong first impression is a critical skill, developed with practice.
Post: (Due date on syllabus)
- Examine two of the following resources:
- Read: Article: Career Contessa. (2020, August 1). “15 Revealing Questions to Ask During an Informational Interview.” https://www.careercontessa.com/advice/questions-to-ask-informational-interview/
- Read: Article: Indeed Career Guide. (2020, July 29) “47 Questions to Ask Someone you Admire About Their Job.” https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/interviewing/questions-to-ask-someone-about-their-job
- Watch: Designing your Career: The Informational Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Pa4ZB4mvQ
- Watch: Everything You Need to Know About Informational Interviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qYZHOeqqEk.
- Read: Career Contessa. “The Perfect Informational Interview.” (2019). https://www.careercontessa.com/advice/perfect-informational-interview/
- Create an initial discussion post in which you answer the following questions, referring to at least one specific source in your post. All sources should be integrated following APA guidelines.
- Who have you decided to request informational interviews with for presentation #2 and why? What do you hope to better understand from these conversations? What do you hope to walk away with?
- How will you prepare for these interviews? (Be as specific as possible in detailing your approach).
- What do you hope to communicate about yourself during these conversations? How will you communicate this?
- What strategies will you use to ensure your interview is as successful as possible?
Response: ( Due date on syllabus)
- Read your classmates’ initial discussion posts. Choose one post that resonates with you.
- Respond to your chosen post. In your response, answer the following questions and integrate at least one source, using APA format:
- What seems successful about this writer’s approach to the informational interview? How is it similar to your approach? How is it different?
- What suggestions do you have for this writer that might improve their informational interview success?