Posted: June 25th, 2022
Use this list of different types of decision traps to help you share your experience or observations related to the decision that was or is being made for your chosen issue in the Module Two Activity.
1. Plunging in: beginning to gather information and reach conclusions without first taking a few minutes to think about the issue
2. Frame blindness: setting out to solve the wrong problem because you have already created a mental framework for your decision; this framework causes you to overlook the best options or lose sight of important objectives
3. Lack of frame control: failing to consciously define the problem in more ways or being unduly influenced by the frames of other individuals
4. Overconfidence in your decision: failing to collect key factual information because you are too sure of your assumptions and opinions
5. Shortsighted shortcuts: relying inappropriately on rules of thumb; implicitly tracking the most readily available information and anchoring on convenient facts
6. Shooting from the hip: believing that you can keep straight in your head all the information you have discovered and therefore “winging it” rather than following a systematic procedure when making the final choice
7. Group failure: assuming that with many smart people involved, good choices will follow automatically and, therefore, failing to manage the group decision-making process (this process is also known as “group think”)
8. Fooling yourself about feedback: failing to interpret the evidence from past outcomes for what it really says—either because you are protecting your ego or because you are tricked by hindsight effects
9. Not keeping track: assuming that experience will make its lesson available automatically and failing to keep systematic records to track the results of your decisions
10. Failure to audit your decision process: failing to create an organizational approach to understanding your own decision making, so you remain constantly exposed to all the other nine decision traps
Olivant, J. (2017, November 14). Decision traps: Ten barriers to brilliant decision making. Business Coaching Hull East Yorkshire. https://www.johnolivant.com/2017/11/14/decision-traps-ten-barriers-to-brilliant-decision-making
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.