Posted: April 30th, 2022
P9-9 (Statement and Note Disclosure, LCM, and Purchase Commitment) Maddox Specialty Company, a division of Lost World Inc., manufactures three models of gear shift components for bicycles that are sold to bicycle manufacturers, retailers, and catalog outlets. Since beginning operations in 1988, Maddox has used normal absorption costing and has assumed a first-in, first-out cost flow in its perpetual inventory system. The balances of the inventory accounts at the end of Maddox’s fiscal year, November 30, 2012, are shown below. The inventories are stated at cost before any year-end adjustments.
Finished goods $647,000
Work in process 112,500
Raw materials 264,000
Factory supplies 69,000
The following information, shown on page 536, relates to Maddox’s inventory and operations.
1. The finished goods inventory consists of the items analyzed below.
Down tube shifter
Standard model $ 67,500 $ 67,000
Click adjustment model 94,500 89,000
Deluxe model 108,000 110,000
Total down tube shifters 270,000 266,000
Bar end shifter
Standard model 83,000 90,050
Click adjustment model 99,000 97,550
Total bar end shifters 182,000 187,600
Head tube shifter
Standard model 78,000 77,650
Click adjustment model 117,000 119,300
Total head tube shifters 195,000 196,950
Total finished goods $647,000 $650,550
2. One-half of the head tube shifter finished goods inventory is held by catalog outlets on consignment.
3. Three-quarters of the bar end shifter finished goods inventory has been pledged as collateral for a bank loan.
4. One-half of the raw materials balance represents derailleurs acquired at a contracted price 20 percent above the current market price. The market value of the rest of the raw materials is $127,400.
5. The total market value of the work in process inventory is $108,700.
6. Included in the cost of factory supplies are obsolete items with an historical cost of $4,200. The market value of the remaining factory supplies is $65,900.
7. Maddox applies the lower-of-cost-or-market method to each of the three types of shifters in finished goods inventory. For each of the other three inventory accounts, Maddox applies the lower-of-cost-or- market method to the total of each inventory account.
8. Consider all amounts presented above to be material in relation to Maddox’s financial statements taken as a whole.
(a) Prepare the inventory section of Maddox’s balance sheet as of November 30, 2012, including any required note(s).
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.