Posted: April 10th, 2021
MUCT 2360 – Music Cultures of the Silk Road
Reading assignment #2 (due 1/29)
** Be sure to read assignment instructions on Canvas before beginning the assignment.
Hoffer, Chapter 7-9 from Music Listening Today
FILL IN THE BLANK:
1. The philosopher Plato (c 427-347 B.C.E.) considered music an essential part of the _______________ of all citizens. One reason for his advocacy of music was his belief that music influenced __________________________________.
2. In the Middle Ages, the Church at Rome became predominant, and the Church now had a ______________ – a body of rites prescribed for worship. The most important and frequent service was the _____________.
3. As the idea of ______________ developed (in the Medieval era), the notes of original Gregorian chant were made longer, sometimes to the point of sounding almost like a drone.
4. The secular element in the (Medieval) motet was its use of texts ,often about ___________________, that were in ________________________ languages, usually French.
5. An event that affected education, commerce, and religion (during the Renaissance) was Johann Gutenberg’s invention of ________________________________________.
Iain Fenlon, “Music and Society” from The Renaissance
6. Identify THREE general characteristics of the Burgundian court of northern Europe that other European rulers sought to imitate.
7. Provide ONE example of how King Henry VII (of Tudor England) directly imitated practices that began at the Burgundian court.
8. How did the artistic patronage of Isabella d’Este in early 16th century Italy help to re-shape the perception of music in her society (especially in contrast to prevailing attitudes of themed-15th century)?
9. Who was the famous 15th Italian poet-improviser and lute player admired for his performance of narrative verse? What was ONE way in which this musician embodied Renaissance ideals about music?
10. How did the musical patronage of the 16th century Medici family help to support their power (in either a real or symbolic way)?
SUMMARY (4-6 sentences):
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.