Posted: April 7th, 2021
Discussion post | Biology homework help
After reviewing the resources for this module, reflect on the following items before responding to the discussion prompts in the next section:
- Think about an aspect of genetics/genomics, newborn screening, or pharmacogenetics/pharmacogenomics that you believe is rapidly transforming public health and healthcare and reflect on the challenges for public health, including the research behind it, how the information is used, and whether the public should have access to genetic screening tests. What do you think will happen with this area in the next five years? Ten years?
- Think about a medication error, drug safety issue, or inappropriate use of prescriptions and reflect on the challenges to health care and public health professionals and what might be done to prevent or mitigate this issue.
- Reflect on the idea of risk perception and how it differs between different individuals and groups. Can you think of a time when your perception of risk differed from that of a relevant health or public health professional? Do you think that your response would be different if you had read any particular resource?
- Reflect on what critical thinking means to you and how it applies to your career.
(Please answer this Discussion question )
- Select and describe one aspect of genetics/genomics, newborn screening, or pharmacogenetics/pharmacogenomics that you believe is rapidly transforming public health and healthcare. Then explain one relevant challenge for public health practitioners around this topic and one possible public health response to the stated challenge (policy, education, etc.)
- Select and describe one challenging aspect of either medication errors, drug safety, or inappropriate use of prescription drugs. Describe the public health impact of this issue, then explain what you think is one important public health response (monitoring, prevention strategies, policy, education, etc.)
- Discuss how you personally can (or will) exercise critical thinking in your career as a public health professional. Give specific examples and explain what basic science elements you think are most important to understand in your public health career.