To create an ad for a product sold in drugstores that cures or alleviates a condition that most people find uncomfortable talking about, such as hemorrhoids, diarrhea, abdominal gas, or any other touchy subject. To incorporate a visual metaphor to communicate indirectly and symbolically; avoid direct and/or vulgar messages.
- Apply any software’s image-editing tools.
- Combine images to create a visual metaphor or symbolic message.
- Express the message using a visual metaphor—a comparison between two ideas that are TOTALLY DIFFERENT, yet share some CHARACTERISTIC IN COMMON.
Task: Create an 8 ½ x 11-inch print ad for a product sold in drugstores that cures or alleviates a condition most people find uncomfortable talking about incorporating a visual metaphor to communicate indirectly and symbolically. All steps are highly unique to your specific project, therefore problem-solving and critical thinking skills are necessary.
- Decide on a product sold in drugstores or the supermarket’s pharmacy aisle that cures or alleviates a condition most people feel uncomfortable talking about, including, but not limited to hemorrhoids, diarrhea, abdominal gas, or any other touchy subject.
- Review: a metaphor is a comparison between two things that that are TOTALLY DIFFERENT yet share a CHARACTERISTIC IN COMMON. For example, if your product is a foot odor spray, what non-human thing is associated with unpleasant smell? A skunk? A pile of garbage? A dead fish?
- The goal is to use a metaphor to express the message INDIRECTLY and SYMBOLICALLY. DO NOT create a direct and/or vulgar message. Do not show the human body or any of its parts. Do not show a toilet, or someone sitting on the toilet. Do not show a before-and-after image, but rather one single strong image. Do not show the happy face or sad face icons. Do not show the “no” symbol.
- composite them using image-editing software. This is not a Photoshop class, so I will not grade this assignment on your Photoshop skills, but rather on your concept for the visual metaphor.
- Be sure to include a small product shot and a short tagline. The metaphor must be the dominant element in the ad, not the product shot. If you can’t find a product shot online, just include a logo, or type the name of the product very prominently. Make your assignment look like a professional ad in a magazine.
- Save your file, and export a .JPG file.