Written Response #3 Questions on Chapter 11 Basic Elements of Organizing , page 315, Discussion questions 2, 3 and 4 and Chapter 12 Organization and page 342 Discussion Question 3 and Question for Application question 8. Read Management Case in Action case on “Authority and Function at A&F”, pages 322-323 and refer to You Make the Call “Authority and Function at A&F” page 346 answer questions 1, 2, 4, and 5.
Written responses must be typed, size 12 font, double spaced and written in proper English in complete sentences. For each question, answer approximately 3-5 sentences (one paragraph), sufficiently to demonstrate understanding. Total assignment estimated length 3-5 pages.
Apply the course concepts described in Chapters 11 and 12 to answering the questions below.
Grading criteria: total possible points 20 (score represents 7% of total grade in the course)
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS Chapter 11 (6 points; two points each question)
2) What is meant by unity of command? By the scalar principle? Can an organization have one without the other? Explain.
3) Describe the organizational structure that results from each of the different bases of departmentalization. What implications does each of these structures have with regard to the distribution of authority within the organization?
4) Explain the differences between line and staff positions. What are the advantages and disadvantages of high versus low administrative intensity?
DISCUSSION QUESTION Chapter 12 (4 points)
3) Describe the basic forms of organization design. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
APPLICATION QUESTION (2 points)
8) Consider an organization (such as your workplace, a club or society, a sorority or fraternity, a church, and so on) of which you are a member. Describe some structural elements of that organization that reflect the bureaucratic model. Describe some elements that reflect the behavioral model. In your opinion, is that organization more bureaucratic or more behavioral in its structure? Why?
MANAGEMENT IN ACTION: “Authority & FUNCTION AT A & F” (Opening case for the chapter) (8 points) Questions “You Make the Call” on page 346.
Case Question 1: If you were hired to advise Michael Jeffries on A & F’s current organizational design, what weaknesses and potential threats would you identify? What strengths and opportunities?
Case Question 2: What kind of organizational design do you think would be best suited to Jeffries’ managerial style?
Case Question4: It seems that mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures are currently business as usual in the retailing sector. Following such an event, does it make more sense to retain the current organizational design for a while or to modify it right away? Why?
Case Question 5: What differences might you expect to see between the organizational designs of such traditional retailers as A & F and American Eagle and those at online retailers such as Amazon.com and eBay? (“brick” vs. “click”)