Week 6 Assignment: Sentencing Decisions
- Read Week 6 Assignment: Sentencing Decisions [PDF], a fictitious case scenario, for insight into how forensic psychology affects the courts.
- Put yourself in the shoes of a criminal justice intern shadowing the forensic psychologist in a local court. The psychologist has asked you to do some research for a workshop she’s hosting about psychological aspects related to the court process to help the community understand the role of a forensic psychologist and what they can bring to the criminal justice system.
- Refer to Chapters 2, 9, and 10 in your textbook and the B.S. in Criminal Justice Library Guide for resources for completing this assignment.
Use the case scenario and other resources to write a 2–3page report addressing the following questions:
- What did the psychologist do to determine if Mr. Bell was competent to stand trial?
- What role did the psychologist play in the determining whether Mr. Bell was mentally ill or developmentally delayed in his court hearing?
- What assessment tools did the psychologist use to determine Mr. Bell’s diagnosis? (Various assessment tools are covered in Chapter 10 in your textbook).
- What additional assessment did the forensic psychologist use to determine what facility Mr. Bell should be placed in?
Use three academic resources to support your responses. Your textbook can be included as a resource. Consult Basic Search: Strayer University Online Library and B.S. in Criminal Justice Library Guide for the other two sources.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
- Examine the psychological understanding and response to offending behavior, encompassing the courts.