Subject Name: Project Management Processes
The journal indicated below describes a national project. Based on the journal, and understanding of the project, answer the questions
below: DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000332
Journal title: “1976 Montreal Olympics: Case Study of Project Management Failure”
1. Was it an internal or external project? Provide a rationale. 5Marks
2. Identify at least 10 major stakeholders for the project. 5 Marks
3. What were the needs or expectations of each stakeholder? 5 Marks
4. Identify and describe at least 5 most important resources used in the project. 5 Marks
5. What was the alternative approach for the project (i.e. if the stadium had not been built, what else could have been done to ensure the Olympics still occurred)? 5Marks
6. Based on (5) above, was building the stadium at this location and at this time the best approach to have been chosen? Provide rationale using PV, NPV, IRR, B/C. [1 page] 20Marks
7. Provide two Level 3 Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) for this project. These two should be the initial (or planned) and final (or actual) WBS. Explain the difference [2 pages] 20Marks
8. Based on (7), was there evidence of scope creep in the project? Provide a rationale. 5Marks
9. Create one network diagram for the project using the final WBS in (7) above [1 page] 30Marks
10. Use the Level 2 tasks in the final WBS to create one GANTT chart for the project. [1 page] 30 Marks
11. Use the initial and final WBS to create two high-level budgets for the project. These two should be the initial and final budgets. Explain the difference. [2 pages] 30Marks
12. Using the risk sources, describe three major (broad) categories of risks in the project. 6 Marks
13. Using a table, list at least ten individual risks ranked by severity, and also link each of them to one of the categories in (12) above [1 page ] 20Marks
14. For each risk in (13) above, describe at least one thing that was done or could have been done to mitigate that risk. 5Marks
15.Was their adequate quality management processes in place (including quality planning, quality assurance, and quality control)? Provide a rationale. 4Marks
16. Was there adequate outsourcing in the project? Provide a rationale. 5 Marks
17. The journal-title indicates this project was a failure. Do you agree? Provide a rationale. 5Marks
18. If anyone in your group was appointed the project manager for this project, what would you have done differently to make this project successful? 5Marks
19. Describe at least five major lessons that can be learned from this project. 5 Marks
20. Other – Abstract, Introduction, Conclusion (one paragraph each) 10Marks
21. Other – Effective APA (Times New Roman, font size 12, double-spaced, in-text citations, grammar, reference list, etc) 10 Marks 22. Other Considerations
5Marks TOTAL of 240 Marks
Side note from the instructor:
- Your response should be between 15 -20 pages only, including all auxiliary pages such as the Title page, Reference page, and Table of Content.
- This research project requires you to tie together the key components of project management.
- Ensure all responses you provide (including numbers and facts) are supported with information from the journal, or where necessary, provide appropriate assumptions and additional information from external sources. However, facts from the journal will trump all external sources. This journal including all other external sources should be correctly referenced.
- Use effective APA in-text citation to help the reader know exactly where you are picking your facts from.