Posted: March 10th, 2021
Nurs 363 : Evidence Based Practice Poster
Objective: To help nursing students become accustomed to searching the literature for evidence that supports nursing practice, and to polish poster creation and presentation skills.
Task: You are an experienced nurse who just signed a contract for a staff position at Passaway General Hospital. On your first month at work, you notice a few questionable nursing practices that you learned to do differently at your previous place of employment. As a BSN-prepared nurse, your unit manager has asked you to review the best evidence on the topic and create an A/V poster presentation for your colleagues on the unit. He has asked you record your presentation so both night and day shifts can view it at their convenience.
Issues: The following is a list of your priority areas. You must choose one to focus on right now.
Use of Bariatric beds
Nursing uniforms for proper identification
Bed baths vs Bath wipes
Proper use of Restraints
Intramuscular injection technique
Wet to dry dressing changes
Umbilical cord care
Nasogastric tube insertion
Use of Bed Alarms
Prevention of CLABSI
1. Choose a topic area from the list above.
2. Review nursing, medical, and evidence-based practice literature related to your topic, following guidelines from the rubric to ensure you obtain information that addresses each section of the rubric.
3. Critically appraise the evidence you have located using the CASP Tool (refer to textbook) to determine the strength of the studies you base your recommendations upon.
4. Synthesize information using the grading rubric as a guide.
4. Create a Professional Poster: Create a professional scientific poster in MS Power point, to be saved as a computer file (you do not need to have it printed) using a scientific poster template. Poster templates can be downloaded from many sources. Here are a few suggestions.
Read the Article: How to Create a Professional Poster in PLE resources, as your guide for spacing, text size, headings, and content in your poster. Poster examples are also located in the resources tab. See article attached.
Please Note: A good presentation should address each of the areas of the rubric below. However, your poster should not contain, word for word, everything in the rubric. There should not be full paragraphs on your poster. Please use bullet points. The purpose of the poster is to highlight and summarize the information.
Other useful resources/materials : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ds2WEVLoVE
EBP Project Grading Rubric
· Clearly introduce/identify the topic
· Identify the types of organizations or nursing units that would be interested in topic and able to apply EBP recommendations related to this topic
· Identify the relevant patient population for this topic
· Identify the usual patient outcomes related to this topic.
Synthesize at least 3 current research articles related to the topic. Discuss individual articles separately, identifying the following:
Synthesize the findings of all three (or more) articles into a summary of research on your topic.
Identify and summarize systematic review articles related to the topic.
· Include a summary of any meta-analysis articles that are related to the topic.
Identify and summarize any practice guidelines related to the topic area.
Identify current recommended nursing interventions discussed in the evidenced based literature, systematic review or practice guidelines.
· Identify the level of evidence for each recommendation.
For each of the major recommendations identified, discuss whether there is sufficient evidence to warrant a change to policies and procedures according to what is current in the research literature. Identify which nursing guidelines are inconsistent with the recommendations in the research literature
Conclusion: should be brief but thoughtful.
· As part of the conclusion, summarize the overall progression of evidence for this topic
· Identify the areas most in need of additional systematic research.
Correct grammar, spelling, punctuation use of citations on poster
Properly uploaded per instructions (Audio and Video with visible poster)
Professional poster appearance using powerpoint
Place an order in 3 easy steps. Takes less than 5 mins.