Posted: February 18th, 2021
Discussion post 2 | Education homework help
Read the following essays from CEL Ch. 8, Making Arguments, in preparation for this discussion:
- “The Dog Delusion” (Pedersen), CEL Ch. 8, p. 225-229.
- “Cruelty, Civility, and Other Weighty Matters” (Paulin), p. 230-239
- “Hive Talkin’: The Buzz around Town about Bees” (Scollon), p. 240-244.
After you have read all three essays, read the following questions and think about how you want to respond:
- Of the three essays, which essay interested you the most? Why? For instance, was the topic closer to your own interests than the other essays? Did the writer manage to draw you in despite your lack of initial interest?
- In Ch. 6, the CEL suggests that all writers write with “broad” and “specific” purposes in mind (170). For the essay that you found the most interesting, how do you imagine the writer developed a connection to the “broad purpose” of their topic (also list what that broad purpose is)? Is it clear that the writer already had a passion for the topic through personal experiences or relationships?
- What do you think the writer’s “specific purpose” is in writing? What do they hope to achieve, and is this hope stated directly? How does the writer’s intensity and passion for the topic show in their writing?